Re: Problems with external microphone with STAC9228

Am Donnerstag, 7. August 2008 12:00:06 schrieb Marcus Better:
> Matthias Breier wrote:
> > on my Dell Inspiron 1525 with Sigmatel STAC9228 audio chip I have a small
> > but rather inconvenient problem. Everything except the microphone jack in
> > front of the notebook seems to work correctly. The external microphone of
> > my headset records only noise, when I use it in Linux.
>
> You might try raising the "Digital" mixer control to 100%, I had to play
> with that to get the microphone to work on my laptop with Intel HDA. Also
> you have three "Capture" switches, only one of them was enabled when you
> ran the script. Did you try switching on the other two?

Yes, I tried all of the settings you mentioned. I have to add, that my
internal microphone works well with the setting "Digital Mic 1". If I switch
this setting to "Analog Inputs" (which is the setting I should use for the
external mic according to many forum threads on the net), and use "Mic" as
input source for all three slots (just to be sure ;) ), I can hear a very
distorted signal from the build-in mic. But when I switch to "Front Mic" I
can only hear distortions. By the way, my external mic has a off-switch, so I
could test, if the previously mentioned signal /really/ originates from my
build-in mic (without an off-switch).

But thanks for your thoughts, anyway! :)

Bye

Matthias