alsa-drivers 1.0.17 vs linus 2.6.26 kernel

   I am having problems with sound under Fedora 9 using the
latest linus 2.6.26 from his git and the current alsa 1.0.17
release. This is on a second generation MacBook Pro (which is
why I resorted to the alsa 1.0.17 release. On Fedora 9, with
the current linus 2.6.26 kernel installed, I have rebuilt and
installed all the alsa packages with the 1.0.17 sources including
the alsa-drivers.
   I have alsa-oss installed as well and have deinstalled the
pulseaudio package since it seems ill behaved. I am loading the
snd-hda-intel kernel sound module with model=macbook-pro and
have run alsamixer to unmute all of the channels. However when
I try....

cd /usr/share/sounds
aplay -vv phone.wav

The sound meter output only shows a single line with only progresses
to 7 percent. Has anyone else seen this issue and is there a fix?
            Jack