Re: is this card supported by ALSA?

On 10-07-08 23:20, Landis McGauhey wrote:

> Please bear with me, Rene-- I really want to fix ALSA in this
> installation and the expertise of ALSA mailing list is my last, best
> hope.

Bearing... an old bug report I found implied that this problem might be
in the ac97 code but before I go chasing that I'd really like to make
sure that the OSS route is also silent. So...

With snd-ens1371 loaded as normal, after (as root):

# modprobe snd-pcm-oss
# modprobe snd-mixer-oss

your "lsmod" output should show the snd-ens1371, snd-pcm-oss and
snd-mixer-oss modules loaded and "/dev/dsp" should exist (ls -l
/dev/dsp). At this point,

# mplayer -ao oss foo.wav

should start playing through the OSS interface. Make sure you've upped
and unmuted the volumes (in alsamixer) as before. Still silent? Does it
*look* like it's playing?

Next step would, if possible, be trying the old OSS driver for which I
sent a patch and instructions earlier. If the earlier instructions
weren't clear enough, get back to me and wel'll try that.

After that one, step 3, I'll go look at the ac97 code. Note that any
attempts there would also involve you patching and recompiling the kernel.

Rene.