no sound with HDA AD1988B

Hi!

I've got a strange problem with an Intel HDA / AD1988B codec.
It apparently does work, everything in /proc/asound etc. is normal,
mixer seems to be working, I've unmuted everything, adjusted volumes,
applications are playing, but there is no sound at all.

Versions I've tried:

2.6.25 kernel internal (dunno which ALSA version it has)
2.6.25 + 1.0.16
2.6.25 + 1.0.17rc3

When I start or stop ALSA (load/unload modules) I can hear a *click*
from the loudspeakers but that's all, no sound with any version.
I've tried both with enable_msi=0 and enable_msi=1, /proc/interrupts
reflects the change, it seems as if it would be working in both
cases but no sound anyway...

The machine has never ever seen Windows before. I'm planning to
install XP in the near future though, maybe if the Windows driver
correctly initializes the sound subsystem it also going to work
with Linux?

I have to make this machine work ASAP as it is not mine and has
to go into production very soon. Please advise. I can supply more
info on demand.

Thanks,

Sab