Re: no sound with HDA AD1988B

RUMI Szabolcs wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've got a strange problem with an Intel HDA / AD1988B codec.
> It apparently does work, everything in /proc/asound etc. is normal,
> mixer seems to be working, I've unmuted everything, adjusted volumes,
> applications are playing, but there is no sound at all.
>
> Versions I've tried:
>
> 2.6.25 kernel internal (dunno which ALSA version it has)
> 2.6.25 + 1.0.16
> 2.6.25 + 1.0.17rc3
>
> When I start or stop ALSA (load/unload modules) I can hear a *click*
> from the loudspeakers but that's all, no sound with any version.
> I've tried both with enable_msi=0 and enable_msi=1, /proc/interrupts
> reflects the change, it seems as if it would be working in both
> cases but no sound anyway...
>
> The machine has never ever seen Windows before. I'm planning to
> install XP in the near future though, maybe if the Windows driver
> correctly initializes the sound subsystem it also going to work
> with Linux?
>
> I have to make this machine work ASAP as it is not mine and has
> to go into production very soon. Please advise. I can supply more
> info on demand.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sab

The standard advice.

Try using aplay.  It is closer to the metal.

aplay -vv -D plughw:0,0  some.wav

Are you running a sound server of any sort?  This might be causing you
problems.

You can use the script   alsa-info.sh --no-upload     and the output
will have relevant sound information.
The script is found at http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh

If you run it as a straight script with no options, you can paste the
link back here so other people can
look at it.

Are the speakers plugged into the correct output?