Re: Need help with lost usb sound

Michael D. Johnson wrote:
> Tried it two different ways:
> #> alsamixer
>
>     alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file
>     or directory

You have no default device.  This defaults to the first card, first
device  (0,0)  It should always be present.
Try running aplay -v -D plughw:0,0  some.wav  and see what errors it
gives you.

This can be a symptom of a sound server having the sound device.  Do you
have pulse or esd or ksound running?

It can also happen when the files aren't where they are expected to be.
I don't know where Suse puts the files, but
alsa defaults to putting all its files in /usr/share/alsa.  You could
check if /etc or /etc/alsa has links to the latest files in
/usr/share/alsa.