Re: tv card: no sound

> Hi Robert. You could try as root,  modprobe snd-pcm-oss, as I think this
> should create /dev/mixer, and you should see some other stuff turn up in
> lsmod, as below.
> snd-pcm-oss
> snd-mixer-oss
> snd-seq-oss

Thanks to Stan and to you for answer.
I did that, and the /dev/mixer was created, also the /dev/dsp which is needed by xawtv.
I checked the alsa-oss, it wasn't installed, my bad. Now the alsa oss moduls are being loaded at the system startup.
No more error messages but I still have no sound in tvtime, xawtv and mplayer (only tv, movie files work ok).
The volume is on 0 and I can't change it.
Also I unmuted everything in alsamixer, altought there is no option to adjust volume for cd. Same situation in kmix.
The tv card works fine, as in win I have sound.

> I have seen some folks having problems before when snd-pcm-oss wasn't being
> loaded, which should be done automatically. It was a while back, and maybe
> they had no sound at all. Does your sound card work ok, apart from the
> tvtime/tvcard problem?

Yes, I forgot to mention that sound works fine in other applications like amarok, audacious...

> Would you send the output of.
> cat /proc/asound/version

Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.15 (Tue Nov 20 19:16:42 2007 UTC).

Kernel is 2.6.24.5, which comes with slackware 12.1.

> Maybe you need to update your alsa-driver version, if yours is very ancient.
>
> Nigel.
>
> btw, I'm not sure if tvtime is an alsa, or oss based app for the sound, so it
> may be worth installing the alsa-oss package. It won't do any harm, and there
> are some other apps that still use oss, and this package gives Alsa emulation
> for these apps.

I have also reinstalled all alsa packages I have on slack cds but nothing changed:
alsa-lib-1.0.15-i486-1
alsa-oss-1.0.15-i486-1
alsa-utils-1.0.15-i486-3