Re: tv card: no sound

On Monday 23 June 2008 14:35, Robert Zelic wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have a leadtek tv2000 expert tv card. The sound is connected to the cd
> input on the motherboard. The sound card is Realtek ALC888.
>
> I use tvtime. In conf file the device mixer is set to /dev/mixer:cd but
> /dev/mixer doesn't exist. The error message is:
> mixer: Can't open device /dev/mixer, mixer volume and mute unavailable.
>

> ls /dev/snd/
> controlC0  hwC0D0  pcmC0D0c  pcmC0D0p  pcmC0D1p  pcmC0D2c  timer
>

> lsmod | grep snd
> snd_hda_intel         289052  2
> snd_pcm                72068  1 snd_hda_intel
> snd_timer              22532  1 snd_pcm
> snd_page_alloc         11528  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
> snd_hwdep              10756  1 snd_hda_intel
> snd                    47716  8 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_hwdep
> soundcore               9824  1 snd
>

> I hope you can help me.
> Thanks

Hi Robert. You could try as root,  modprobe snd-pcm-oss, as I think this
should create /dev/mixer, and you should see some other stuff turn up in
lsmod, as below.
snd-pcm-oss
snd-mixer-oss
snd-seq-oss

I have seen some folks having problems before when snd-pcm-oss wasn't being
loaded, which should be done automatically. It was a while back, and maybe
they had no sound at all. Does your sound card work ok, apart from the
tvtime/tvcard problem? Would you send the output of.
cat /proc/asound/version

Maybe you need to update your alsa-driver version, if yours is very ancient.

Nigel.

btw, I'm not sure if tvtime is an alsa, or oss based app for the sound, so it
may be worth installing the alsa-oss package. It won't do any harm, and there
are some other apps that still use oss, and this package gives Alsa emulation
for these apps.