Re: RtApiAlsa: overrun detected

Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
> Well it interrupts Skype.  Five to ten overruns and than I am out of Skype,
> aborted..
> Do not know if I can influence the Alsa settings. Looking into the Skype sound
> setup II found that incomming, outgoing and ringing have each 7 choices. Do
> not know what they mean and I am still looking into what they are doing to my
> system. The choices I found are:
>
> Default device
> Sound Fusion CS46xx (hw:CS46xx.0)
> Sound Fusion CS46xx (plughw:CS46xx.0)
> Sound Fusion CS46xx (hw:CS46xx.1)
> Sound Fusion CS46xx (plughw:CS46xx.1)
> Sound Fusion CS46xx (hw:CS46xx.2)
> Sound Fusion CS46xx (plughw:CS46xx.2)
>
> Could intensive playing with these choices do something positive for the Also
> setting?
What version of alsa are you running?  Maybe an upgrade would help.
There are links to the latest and greatest at http://www.alsa-project.org

I recommend you use either the default device or one of the plughw
devices.  They give you some alsa magic.

What happens if you use arecord to record a sample directly rather than
through skype?  See   man arecord   for sample command.
It seems to me that it is skype causing the problem at the interface to
alsa, rather than alsa itself.  This will confirm that.  If you can
record without overruns using arecord, it is a skype interface problem.
Underrun means that you are playing audio and the device
runs out of frames to play, overrun means you are recording audio, and
the device runs out of buffer space to put the audio.

Someone posted on this list a link to http://frinika.sourceforge.net and
there were some settings to prioritize sound high so it didn't get
locked out by other happenings like beagle and other background disk
scanners.