Re: Unmolested audio

On Thursday 12 June 2008 20:10:04 Chris Smith wrote:
> On Thursday 12 June 2008, Florian Faber wrote:
> > What makes you think converting a 16 bit unsigned integer to a IEEE
> > 32 bit float and back would change the value?
> Should have used a 24 bit example. I'm of the opinion that with it
> the process is not always a bit perfect translation. But I'm open to
> correction.

On IEEE 32 bit floats the mantissa is 23 bit, so there might be
situations where you loose the LSB.

The original poster made no specification about the resolution and
sample rate of the FLACs he wants to play. Since they can be almost
anything (4-32 bits/sample, up to 1MHz sample rate), he has to be more
specific. So, if he listens to CD audio converted to FLAC, it's just
16bit/sample and 44.1kHz and thus well within an 'unmolested' range by
any standard.

And please, look at the weakest link in the chain: The original poster
uses an USB DAC. I don't know of any USB box you can buy that actually
shows true 24bit dynamic on the analogue side, but feel free to correct
me. And as long as it doesn't support the sample rate in hardware, you
can forget about it anyway.

Flo
--
Machines can do the work, so people have time to think.
public key 6C002249          x-hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net