Re: ALSA + SigmaTel STAC92xx sound chip - Device busy

On Sat, 2008-05-31 at 08:10 +0000, Polo Talnir wrote:
Lee Revell <rlrevell <at> joe-job.com> writes:

> On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 9:10 PM, Polo Talnir <pu7799 <at> lycos.com> wrote:
> > I have a SigmaTel STAC9221D A2 chip embedded in my Intel motherboard
> > The full ALSA info is uploaded to http://pastebin.ca/1024025
> > I am running Fedora Core 5 (Bordeaux) with kernel 2.6.18-1.2257_FC5smp on
> > an Intel mobo D955XBK with a Pentium D 940 (dual core processor) @ 3.2GHz
> > and 4GB of RAM. I am using ALSA 1.0.6 which I compiled.
> >

> That is a REALLY old ALSA version.  With a recent one you won't get
> the "device busy " issues because it does mixing in software by
> default.

That was a typo. The ALSA version I compiled is the latest, 1.0.16, not
1.0.6 as I wrote. The alsa-info.sh report at http://pastebin.ca/1024025
shows that.
Thank you for your response, though. An old version ALSA is not the issue.
It seems clear that my minimalistic configuration is insufficient, and
that ALSA, properly configured, fully supports this chip.
It does.  You have your modprobe configuration line set wrong (probably an old Fedora thing).  According to your alsa-info output, you have your system set as a 3-stack board, whereas the driver table (which I wrote for your motherboard - which is actually a D975XBX) is designated as a 6-stack.  The difference is the number of vertical rows of sound plugs on the back of your system. 1 row = 3-stack, 2 rows = 6-stack.  The best option is to remove the "model=" line from your modprobe configuration file.

I would like to see/copy a working configuration for this chip. I didn't
find one after googling for some time.
I don't have any on hand, but I can send you one on Monday (if I remember to).

PS why in heck the full email address of the poster is published? to
facilitate the "work" of low-lifes?
I don't understand the question here, but if you are attempting to
  insult the people on this list that are here to help,then you will
 find yourself having to figure this out on your own.

TIA
-Polo

--
Tobin Davis <tdavis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>