ALSA + SigmaTel STAC92xx sound chip - Device busy

I have a SigmaTel STAC9221D A2 chip embedded in my Intel motherboard
The full ALSA info is uploaded to http://pastebin.ca/1024025
I am running Fedora Core 5 (Bordeaux) with kernel 2.6.18-1.2257_FC5smp on
an Intel mobo D955XBK with a Pentium D 940 (dual core processor) @ 3.2GHz
and 4GB of RAM. I am using ALSA 1.0.6 which I compiled.

I have sound when playing a file or CD with XMMS.
I can also play what comes in through the Line-In, using the following
command line:
arecord -D hw:1,0,0 -f S16_LE -c2 -r48000 | aplay -D hw:1 &

Question 0: why should I need to use that command line?!
The command-line info I got here:
http://people.atrpms.net/~pcavalcanti/alsa-1.0.15rc2_snd-hda-intel.html
I thought I should be able to mix-in the signal from the selected input
(the chip seems to accept only one ext input at a time) and hear it together
(mixed) with, e.g. the PCM channel using just the ALSA mixer. I seem
to have a configuration problem right here.

Anyways, these facts show that the driver works, that the
connections are ok and that the volumes are set correctly, nothing
muted, etc.

Now if I play something with XMMS, then I want to mix-in the input
from the Line-In, the command line above gives me this error:
aplay: main:564: audio open error: Device or resource busy

If I issue the command line first, and then try to play something with
XMMS I get a popup telling me about the same: sound device busy.

Now, I know that the card can do the mix, because the experiment
works just fine in Windows on the same machine.

Is there some writeup about how to config ALSA or the mixer
or the whatever, so that I can get both inputs (PCM and Line-In)
to play/record simultaneously, i.e. get the mixer to mix?.
I couldn't find one.

Reading this article:
http://people.atrpms.net/~pcavalcanti/alsa-1.0.15rc2_snd-hda-intel.html
about a few setups helped greatly to get me as far as I got.

The article mentions two (2) ADCs on this card/chip. However,
even the (working) Windows setup doesn't let me check 2 inputs in the
Recording Control panel at the same time, i.e. Microphone and Line-In.
Is this a bug in the Windows panel, can ALSA do better, or the info
in that page is plain wrong and this chip can't have 2 inputs active
at the same time (i.e. it has only one ADC). I can't understand the
block diagram in the datasheet (which can be viewed/downloaded at
http://www.idt.com/products/getDoc.cfm?docID=10267384). The diagram
appears to show 2 ADCs, but one is painted yellow while the other is
not, and the connections are unclear (to me).

Thanks for any pointers or comments.
Polo