Everything out the S/PDIF interface - weird problems

Greetings all - I'm new to the list.

I have two machines on which I'm having similar issues.  Both run mythtv
(among other audio apps (Amarok, mplayer, Xine, etc)); both are configured
as general-use Linux desktops, but the BE/FE's main task is being a Myth
server, obviously.  Both are linked to 5.1 receivers via the S/PDIF
interface.

My combined BE/FE machine uses an Asus P5K-Deluxe/Wifi motherboard
(running Mandriva 2008.0 x86_64 (alsa 1.0.14; alsa-utils is 1.0.15rc1) and
my upstairs frontend (ABit AN8-32X) runs Ubuntu Hardy (1.0.15).  Both
machines appear (per lsmod | grep snd) to be using the snd-intel8x0
driver.

I have had issues with getting stereo streams to play (using myth's
internal player for recordings, or mythmusic) if a file with Dolby
Digital 5.1 sound is played first.  If I play the stereo recording before
a DD 5.1 one, it plays OK.

I can play any videos, no matter what the sound codec is, correctly within
or outside of Myth with this: "mplayer -fs -zoom -quiet -vo xv -ao
alsa:device=spdif -afm hwac3 %s").

However, trying to use ALSA:spdif or ALSA:surround51 in Myth's general
setup for default audio device doesn't give me any sound.  The only
settings that do are "/dev/adsp" on the BE/FE box and "ALSA:default" on
the upstairs machine.  On both, the only setting for "Default passthrough
device" which works is "default".

Right now, I still have to exit mythfrontend and run "iecset audio 0",
then restart the frontend to play a stereo recording if I have watched a
5.1 show before it.  I do not have to do this if I play only recordings
with DD 5.1 audio.

I have posted this on th Mythtv-users mailing list, and have been told
that it's a sound-system configuration issue, not a Myth problem.  I'm
tending towards believing this because I have noted, on the upstairs
machine, that I sometimes have to issue "iecset audio 1" to play videos
with stereo or faux-surround (Pro-Logic) even outside of Myth.

I have tried all sorts of different .asound.rc and /etc/asound.conf files
without any changes, and I'm beginning to think that I don't actually need
these (I've seen somewhere that this had actually been deprecated
somewhere around 1.0.12 (?)).

Has anyone yet found a fix for this?  It appears that playing a DD 5.1
recording flips a bit somewhere and that it needs to be reset before
playing a non-Dolby Digital recording.  I shouldn't have to do this.  I
simply want all audio to go out the S/DIF interface.

Thanks in advance --

Bob