kppp & ALSA incompatible for me: can have one or the other but not both together and working

Last month I installed the latest version of sidux as the sole OS on
an IBM desktop tower I have. [The machine is IBM e-Server xSeries 205,
machine type 8480-53X.] There was no sound after installation of
sidux. I fixed that by downloading and installing the latest ALSA
files (v. 1.0.16) from
http://alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page

But when I fixed the sound I found that my kppp (for my dial-up
Internet connection) would not work. If I re-install the OS so that
kppp will work, sound is not working. I get no error messages and no
crashes, just one or the other working but never both together
working.

I used to have MEPIS (just as sidux, a Debian-based Linux distro) on
this computer and had no problems with kppp nor with sound: both
worked together.

My modem: an external, serial, 56K, US Robotics modem, "Sportster",
model 5686-03. [These USR external, 56K, serial modems are fine for
Linux distros.]

A guy in a sidux forum says that my mobo probably has some Intel sound
chip that has a modem built into it. I don't think so and I can't find
info from IBM that says this is so. [I bought this computer used in
2005 so I have no manuals or documents for it and for the motherboard.
And I've had no problems with it 'til the recent installation of
otherwise nifty sidux.]

The odd thing is that I have another IBM desktop tower (the IBM
Intellistation M Pro, machine 6230-41U) which has, as sole OS, the
Linux distro MEPIS 7.0. This other IBM has extremely similar sound
electronics integrated into the mobo and I have both a working kppp
*and* sound, so I don't know why I don't have sound with the sidux OS.

With respect to this problem of a possible conflict between kppp and
ALSA, I reported what I thought was a bug to the ALSA-project.org but
my case hasn't been assigned yet to anyone.

Any ideas or thoughts about this and how to fix it?

Thanks