Re: need help on EMU 1616m pci card ALSA installation

Zenn Wang wrote:
> James,
>
> I continue my installation according to the instructions on
> http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Module-emu10k1-fpga
> to run "alsamixer" to adjust my soundcard's volumn levels.
>
> I got the following error
> --------------------
> [root@localhost ~]# alsamixer
> alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or
> directory
> ----------------------
> Do you know what might went wrong?
>
> Thanks,
> Zenn

This sounds like your distribution doesn't put the files in the same
place as the new install.  There is no default device being found after
the install.

You could download and run the script at
http://hg.alsa-project.org/alsa/raw-file/tip/alsa-info.sh, then provide
the link to the output here so people can see your setup.  There is
another message today with that done for you to see what it does.

You could look in dmesg output to see if there are any system messages
about your problem.

And the suggestion that James gave about posting the output of the
commands is a good one also.