Problem with sound recording

I'm running Fedora 8 on a Shuttle SN68PTG5 - and I've been very happy
with it so far.

The On-board sound is specified as: 7.1 channel High Definition Audio,
Realtek ALC888DD codec by the manufacturer.  Soundcard detection shows:

Vendor: nVidia Corporation
Model: MCP67 High Definition Audio
Module: snd-hda-intel

The Soundcard detection only shows options for PCM device related to
ALC883.  (Analog and Digital.)  Sound output has been working fine with
ALC883 Analog.  Here is the relevant section from lspci -v

00:07.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP67 High Definition Audio
(rev a1)
	Subsystem: Holco Enterprise Co, Ltd/Shuttle Computer Unknown device 3114
	Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19
	Memory at fe020000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask+ 64bit+ Queue=0/0
Enable-
	Capabilities: [6c] HyperTransport: MSI Mapping Enable- Fixed+
	Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
	Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

My problem is  when I try to use the sound input - either front mic or
line-in sockets.  If I start Audacity I see -30dB noise on the left
channel only, even with no input source connected.  If I feed in a
signal from a CD player or the mic I see it on the left channel, in
addition to the noise, and still get nothing at all on the right
channel.  (Found this problem with the version of audacity on the Fedora
repos, and I have also updated to the latest Beta of Audacity with no
change.)  The noise is real and not just in Audacity as I can hear it if
I route the input to the headphone output.

Thinking this was a connection or board problem I visited the supplier's
offices.  They installed a copy of Vista on it temporarily and it worked
perfectly.  This led me to believe that the problem must be with the
drivers.  I was up-to-date with the alsa drivers, lib and utilities from
the fedora repos at 1.0.15.  On the Realtek site I found a linux driver
set dated February 20th and tried that.  I have now downloaded 1.0.16
driver, llib and utils from the alsa site, compiled and installed. (I
did also try hg20080501 from the nightly builds, but got a compilation
error.)

I have tried setting the model= option on the driver to the following
values 3stack-dig, 6stack-dig, 3stack-6ch, 3stack-6ch-dig without
success.  (I belive the last of these would be the correct one.)

Any suggestions on how to progress further please.  (Yes I know I could
get a separate sound card, but I'd like to get this one working if I
can, especially as it works well for output.) I used to be a competent C
programmer some 15 years ago (until management and Java programming
intervened) so if there are some low-level utilities I can use or tweak...

Thanks,
Mike Evans