Re: Using ALSA without a sound card?

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 22:08:40 -0700
"Travis Wichert" <twichert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm researching an accessibility project with the goal of transforming
> things like syslog entries and system monitor data into different kinds of
> sounds.  The goal is to allow visually impaired people to "hear" the status
> of different components rather than rely on a screen reader.  The sound
> would then be transmitted through a wireless device to the individual's
> ear.  Is an ALSA driver available that emulates an actual sound card, or is
> it possible to use ALSA without a physical sound card?  I'd like to be able
> to do the data-to-sound conversion on a server that doesn't have a sound
> card installed, and then stream it using icecast or somesuch.  Can this be
> done with ALSA?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Travis

Log files data to sound conversion is data format conversion and as such has
nothing to do with ALSA.

ICEcast has nothing to do with ALSA either.

ALSA in you context gets involved (if at all) at the moment PCM stream is
converted into audio, i.e. when PCM stream is fed into DACs in a sound device.

ALSA's place is dealing with the sound device.

Regards,
  Sergei.