Re: how do I change sample rate ?

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 02:19:34 +0200
Rene Herman <rene.herman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> mplayer/vlc will just set the rate itself when opening the device, to the
> sampling rate of whatever PCM data it wants to play (as does aplay, if you
> feed it a wav file which announces the sampling rate of the file in its
> header). For recording, if those program can record, you'll be able to
> specify the rate in some program-specific way.

Doesn't make sense to me.

Suppose in one console I'm playing something using 'mplayer' (a CD), so
'mplayer' wants to set sample rate to 44100Hz.

At the same time in another console I'm playing something with 'vlc' (a DVD),
so 'vlc' wants to set sample rate to 48000Hz.

Obviously, the two are mutually exclusive.

My understanding is that I as end user mandate the sample rate, and applications
not liking my choice have to use resampling - I guess/hope ALSA will take care
of this automatically.

Regards,
  Sergei.