Re: What is Period_(time,size) and buffer size.

Amaury De Ganseman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an ESI juli@ and I'm using optical s/pdif. I've had a very bad
> sound, to correct it I setup period_time period_size and buffer_size
> to correct the problem (as seen in forums).
>
> But I don't undertsand well what is it. If someone could explain to me
> or give me a link to documentation about that.
>
> I notice also that If I use sample rate of 44100 khz the sound is good
> even without setting period_* and buffer_size. So I think it's related
> to upsampling. (Ok in my case rate of 96000 isn't needed but I think
> the sound must be correct even with an upsampling).
>
> Note: I have an engineering background so I think I can understand
> technical details.
>
> Here my .asoundrc:
>

> defaults.pcm.rate_converter "samplerate_best"
>
> pcm.!default {
>    type plug
>    slave.pcm {
>        type dmix
>        ipc_key 1478
>        slave {
>            pcm "hw:0,1"
>            format S32_LE
>         period_time 0
>         period_size 1024
>         #
>         buffer_size 8192
>            rate 96000
> }
>
>    }
>
> }
>

> Thanks a lot

I think you are right.  To test, use sox to convert the samplerate to
96000 and try playing the converted file.  Sox uses libsamplerate and
the default is the highest quality and I have found this to be pretty
good.  Should be something like sox inputfile -r 96000 outputfile.  Or
if you prefer gui you could use audacity to do the conversion.  That is
load the file, change the samplerate, and save it as a new file.

If the resampling is the problem, you could try the new speex converter
mentioned by Takashi Iwai in a recent post, or pre convert your files
using sox or audacity.