What is Period_(time,size) and buffer size.

Hi,

I have an ESI juli@ and I'm using optical s/pdif. I've had a very bad
sound, to correct it I setup period_time period_size and buffer_size
to correct the problem (as seen in forums).

But I don't undertsand well what is it. If someone could explain to me
or give me a link to documentation about that.

I notice also that If I use sample rate of 44100 khz the sound is good
even without setting period_* and buffer_size. So I think it's related
to upsampling. (Ok in my case rate of 96000 isn't needed but I think
the sound must be correct even with an upsampling).

Note: I have an engineering background so I think I can understand
technical details.

Here my .asoundrc:

defaults.pcm.rate_converter "samplerate_best"

pcm.!default {
   type plug
   slave.pcm {
       type dmix