Re: USB midi device (UM1SX) not listed by aconnect (but works as rawmidi)

mescalinum@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I've got a strange problem today.
> I attach the Edirol UM1-SX, and it doesn't get recognized as an alsa
> sequencer device
>
> I look in /proc/asound/cards and it's listed:
>  2 [UM1            ]: USB-Audio - UM-1
>                       EDIROL UM-1 at usb-0000:00:02.2-3.4, full speed
> as well as in /proc/asound/devices:
>  64: [ 2]   : control
>  72: [ 2- 0]: raw midi
>

> but aconnect -i / aconnect -o do not show it, and also seq24 (or any
> other alsa seq client) does not see it.
>
> still I am able to play it using the raw device:
> crw-rw---- root audio 116, 72 /dev/snd/midiC2D0
>

> what happened?
> any help is much appreciated

You need to provide more information in order to get help.  And hope
someone has the same card and has overcome the problem.  That is the
problem with sound.  The problems are usually so specific to the
hardware that the only person who can help you is someone with that
hardware who has solved the problem, or a developer.  I am not that
person, but even that person will need more information.

Did it work at some point but not now?

Does aplay work?

What is your version of alsa?

What is your GNU/Linux distribution?

Are there any messages in the logs?

And probably other things.  There was a shell script that you could run
that would post its output to a web page and give you a link to post
here when asking for help that was advertised recently (within a few
months) on this list ( or alsa-devel).  Perhaps you could use that to
provide useful information?