Re: No Sound

On Sunday 30 March 2008, Paul Thompson wrote:
>Bill Unruh wrote:
>> You notice those instructions? Remove this if sound is configured? REmove
>> that line.
>> Replace it with
>> alias char-major-116 snd
>> if you are running alsa
>
>Still not working, tried it once but I didn't know to change "install"
>to "alias".

That would be a job for most any editor.  I'm partial to vim myself, been
using it or some variant of it since 20 some years on many different
machines.

>> Because you do not have the key sound module installed.
>
>If, once booted, I run "modeprobe snd_maestro3" everything works. So far
>Novell support has not been able to help, there may be no solution.
>
>Sorry to be so dense, I'm retired, pushing 70 and have been working with
>computers since the 1950's. But mostly scientific applications, I always
>considered the operating system the enemy:-) But I did succeed in
>converting the company I'm consulting with to convert to Linux.

Pushing 70?  I left it in the dust nearly 4 years ago.

>pat

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Sometimes we choose the generalization.  Sometimes we don't.
             -- Larry Wall in <199709032332.QAA21669@xxxxxxxx>