Re: No Sound

On Saturday 29 March 2008 15:08, Paul Thompson wrote:
> Greetings
>
> Sound has worked fine with my Gateway 9550 notebook using earlier SuSE
> versions, but the sound doesn't work with 10.3.
> Yast-Hardware-Sound-Config fails with a Port or IRQ error. However after
> failing, sound does work, but not after the next boot.
>
> Running "alsaconf" also succeeds in getting sound to work properly.
> Again I have to do it after each boot. Is there any way to make
> "alsaconf" part of the boot process? Perhaps running "alsaconf" using
> KDE's Autostart, and specifying a config file? If so, what would the
> config file look like?
>
> Thanks
> Paul

Hi Paul. While googling for sound related problems on Ubuntu's Gutsy Gibbon,
I'm sure I saw quite a few sound problems with 10.3. I dont't use Suse, but
would you post the following info please, after rebooting, and before running
alsaconf.

cat /proc/asound/cards
/sbin/lsmod | grep snd

Do you have anything plugged into the USB, webcam with mike, usb midi
keyboard, etc. These often cause problems resulting in the soundcard not
working, as the USB devices are being set as card0, rather than the actual
soundcard.

You could also download the alsa-info.sh script from:
http://hg.alsa-project.org/alsa/raw-file/tip/alsa-info.sh

Make it executable, then run it before you run alsaconf, and paste the
pastebin link into your reply, marking it "with no sound", or something like
that. Then run alsaconf, and run the script again, this time marking the
pastebin link as "sound working".

This script will provide a lot of info about sound on your machine.

All the best.

Nigel.