Re: Metallic recording in cs46xx on Thinkpad T22

Hi,

I've sent you a sample where I recorded myself saying 1-2-3...

You should get it by email from yousendit.com, but it can also be accessed through:

http://download.yousendit.com/131D402A36DD84AA

Concerning the alsamixer hypothesis - I am quite doubtful since I've played quite a lot with it. In any rate
I have capture activated for Mic, Capture and ADC.

Thank you.

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 7:02 PM, James Courtier-Dutton <james.dutton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/03/2008, Gadi Oron <gadior@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I ran over a lot of Internet search and could not find any clue to this
> issue.
>
> I am trying to record sound on an old Thinkpad T22 that uses the cs46xx
> sound driver.
>
> Each time you start to record you have a 10% chance of having the recording
> completely distorted and having a metallic sound. When you look at the
> waveform it looks as though there are small segments with sharp transitions
> between them, a little like if these segments were moved a little from their
> correct place.

Can you post a .wav recording of the sound to a url somewhere.
We then might be able to tell what is wrong.

My first idea is that the sound card is feeding back input into
playback and then back into input, thus causing the "metallic" sound.
Hopefully, this is just an alsamixer set wrong problem.