Metallic recording in cs46xx on Thinkpad T22

Hi everyone,

I ran over a lot of Internet search and could not find any clue to this issue.

I am trying to record sound on an old Thinkpad T22 that uses the cs46xx sound driver.

Each time you start to record you have a 10% chance of having the recording completely distorted and having a metallic sound. When you look at the waveform it looks as though there are small segments with sharp transitions between them, a little like if these segments were moved a little from their correct place.

I've tried many many combination and none gives a solution, including
None gave an improvement. It works fine on the Win2k system that is installed on the same computer.

Does anyone have any clue to what might be going on?

Is there any way to do a hard reset to the sound card (without unloading-reloading the modules)?

Thank you for the help.