Re: Intel HDA with VT8251 gives high pitched noise

Actually, you're a bit off base.  The file you need to look at is alsa-kernel/pci/hda/patch_<codec>.c where <codec> is the name of the codec manufacturer of your sound chip.

For example, I have an Analog Devices AD1986A chip in my laptop.  By looking in the patch_analog.c, I can find the sections dealing with the ad1986a to find what init section is mapped to my laptop, then add the appropriate node init line for the beep-generator, based on the spec for this codec.  This information can also be derived from looking at other codec init sections to see how they enable the beep generator, then finding the node on my system by looking at /proc/asound/card0/codec#*.  Usually it's enough to just unmute it, but some systems require a mixer channel to be unmuted as well.

Tobin

On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 22:41 +0100, Stefan Bellon wrote:
Takashi Iwai wrote:
> The beep is likely not implemented.  I've been always annoyed and
> am happy not to have such a thing.  Of course, a patch to fix it is
> welcome, though :)

Ok, I'm indeed even prepared to take a closer look at the code, but I
think I need a short intro of the sound stuff (already written
documentation is preferred, of course, I do not expect you to teach me
the ALSA code here).

I've taken a short look at pcspkr.c and hda_intel.c of the kernel
source and I think I'm not too far off with those files. But I have not
yet understood how pcspkr drives the underlying ALSA sound to produce
the beep in order to find the correct place for a patch.

-- Tobin Davis

Better dead than mellow.