Re: Intel HDA with VT8251 gives high pitched noise

At Tue, 29 Jan 2008 22:59:17 +0100,
Stefan Bellon wrote:

> Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Sat, 26 Jan 2008 10:35:56 +0100,
> > Stefan Bellon wrote:
>
> > > Ok, I have now tried with 1.0.16rc1 (as 1.0.15 does not support
> > > kernel 2.6.23), but the effects are still the same. Still
> > > high-pitched noise on line and mic and still no system beep at all.
> > >
> > > Any further ideas?
>
> > Too little information about your hardware...
>
> It's a VIA Epia SN10000EG board. I can supply whatever output (lspci,
> ...) or other information is of interest, just instruct me what to
> provide.

The most interesting information about HD-audio is rather about the
codec.  Show /proc/asound/card0/codec#* entries.  Also, run
"alscatl -f somefile store" and show the generated file, too.  This
contains the current mixer setup.

The noise via line/mic sounds like a too much analog-loopback from
line/mic to the analog mixer unit.  This can be better checked with
the files above.

The beep is likely not implemented.  I've been always annoyed and
am happy not to have such a thing.  Of course, a patch to fix it is
welcome, though :)

Takashi