Re: Intel HDA with VT8251 gives high pitched noise

On Jan 31, 2008 2:22 PM, Stefan Bellon <sbellon@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Lee Revell wrote:
> > > What switch would that be? Some configuration option in ALSA? If so,
> > > how do I turn it off? I have not turned it on by intention.
>
> > It's a mixer element.  Run alsamixer (or any other mixer app) and mute
> > Mic playback.
>
> Ok, I'm slowly getting there ... so the "Mic" element in alsamixer does
> NOT control microphone volume for recording, but for loopback playback?

Yes.  Mic volume for recording would be controlled by setting capture
source to Mic and adjusting Capture volume.

In alsamixer, F3 displays playback controls, F4 displays capture
controls, and F5 displays everything.

> As mentioned in my first posting, if I mute the left channel of "Mic"
> and both channels of "Line", then I do not get that high pitched sound.
> So, do I understand it right, that the solution is to just mute them
> then and be done with it? I haven't experienced something like that
> with all the sound cards I had previously.

Yes.

> But I'm still looking for a solution for the system beep, as living
> without it is a bit annoying as I use it heavily for getting notified
> of emails and people requesting me on IM.

As Takashi stated, it's currently unsupported and no one is working on
it.  You should just configure your mail and IM apps to play a .wav
file.

Lee