Re: High-pitched squeal from audiophile card

There have been a lot of replies to my original question, so I'll try to
address them all at once here...

The system is set up with a Xenyx mixer -> Audiophile 2496 RCA inputs.
For output (speakers) I'm still using the onboard intel/HDA and a
Logitech 5.1 system.  It's all run together through JACK.

I'm running the guitars into the 1/4" Line ins on the Xenyx mixer.  The
mixer does not have Hi-Z instrument inputs, but the line inputs have
adjustable gain that lets me get a respectable sound without using a
preamp or amp line-out.

After some brief testing, I have a Takamine acoustic with a
piezo/transducer type pickup system that creates no whine/squeal at all.
 All of my electrics (Gibson SG, Telecaster, Stratocaster, and Jazz
Bass) create the whine/squeal.  If I run them through my 50watt amp and
use the line-out there is no squeal... I also have a Line6 POD that can
work as a preamp but I haven't had the time to test it yet.

On the electrics straight to the mixer, I physically have to touch the
strings near the headstock to make the squeal disappear.  Touching them
with a nonconductor or touching them near the pickups has no effect on
the squeal.  I can record straight without any squeal or whine if I keep
my fret hand in contact with the strings the entire time, but of course
that isn't really ideal.

Thanks for the replies so far... I'm actually really interested in
running the Tele (2x P90s) into the mixer direct because it has such a
nice sound that way... the Line6 POD does color the sound a little from
past experience, and the 50watt amp doesn't have a clean channel, period
;)  Maybe I'll try grounding myself to the mixer chassis ;)