Re: High-pitched squeal from audiophile card

On 31/01/2008, Wade Nelson <hollywoodb+alsauser@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm running the guitars into the 1/4" Line ins on the Xenyx mixer.  The
> mixer does not have Hi-Z instrument inputs, but the line inputs have
> adjustable gain that lets me get a respectable sound without using a
> preamp or amp line-out.

Sounds like an impedance mismatch to me. Causing what some call
"ringing" in electronics.
Try out or borrow a proper guitar preamp and see if the problem goes away.

> On the electrics straight to the mixer, I physically have to touch the
> strings near the headstock to make the squeal disappear.  Touching them
> with a nonconductor or touching them near the pickups has no effect on
> the squeal.  I can record straight without any squeal or whine if I keep
> my fret hand in contact with the strings the entire time, but of course
> that isn't really ideal.

This backs up the impedance mismatch theory. You fingers are dampening
the "ringing" by loosely connecting them to ground via the capacitance
of your body.
If you did have grounding problems, you would get different symptoms.
For there to be grounding problems, usually some distance is involved
and results in clipping below the expected levels where clipping
normally happens, or a lowish frequency "humming" sound.

A useful tool to have around is a small combined battery powered/mains
powered guitar pre-amp to headphones/balance line out box. This
immediately discounts all potential grounding problems by one simply
switching from mains powered to battery power.

James