Re: FC8, no ALSA sound support

2007/12/31, John Haxby <jch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Peteris Krisjanis wrote:
> > 2007/12/31, John Haxby <jch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >
> >> That must be a different pulseaudio to the one I'm using then.  The
> >> per-application mixer (pavucontrol) is very useful
> >>

> > How this is useful? Each app already has it's own volume control.
> > Having additional one confuses user, which already doesn't distinguish
> > PCM from Main volume.
> >

> I obviously touched a raw nerver here -- some people have had bad
> experiences with older versions of pulseaudio.

Yes, and I admit that I have to try newer one, with Hardy for example.
I will take a look at it and let's hope Ubuntu devs won't let make
other users have bad first impression with PA as I had :)

> If mplayer (not gmplayer) has a volume control I've yet to find it.   To
> my mind, having all the volume controls in one place rather than in each
> app makes much more sense.  But then I have a mixer :-)   There's now a
> master fader (pulseaudio) and per-app faders which just seems to make
> sense because it has a good hardware analogue with the mixer.

I admit if this is done right, with good GUI and understandable
functionality, would be killer feature. For now, it is confusing, but
let's hope it'll improve.

> >> and being able to
> >> move a running stream from the normal output to the USB soundcard I've
> >> just plugged iis extremely cool (yes, I know I could just restart
> >> mplayer and tell it to use the different soundcard).
> >>

> > How PA is useful in this in long term? What about simply changing
> > sound cards in common settings and apps simply works?
> >

> I don't know of _any_ apps that let me move a stream from one soundcard
> to another without stopping and restarting playback.  And, unless things
> have changed recently, almost all apps need to be restarted if a new
> soundcard appears because they aren't plugged into dbus or similar.

First part is nice feature, but overestimated - I would definitely
stop and relaunch movie when changing sound outputs - because then I
have to change wires, etc. there is no fun of going on stuff while you
are not paying attention. And second one - that's bad, because apps
should be aware about new sound cards as they plugged in. It should be
fixed in app level.

> > So in fact PA is useful for about 10% of users, who want to mock with
> > their sound settings. Rest of us just want a sound work or would like
> > not to have some daemon  blocking sound card.
> >
> Have you used PA?  It doesn't block the sound card, or at least mine
> doesn't.   And the whole point of PA, at least in Fedora 8, is that for
> most people it does just work.

Ok, this thread started as people claiming that PA blocked their sound
card. Obviously, I voiced in just because I have exactly the same
experience - PA blocks everything, even mixer.

About most people - you have numbers/survey to prove this? :)

> I've lost the bit where you said about you're against putting an
> "unmatured[sic] system in a distro".   Fedora is a proving ground for
> relatively immature systems -- compiz and beryl are a good example: if
> you want a guaranteed stable distro pick up RHEL or CentOS.   To my mind
> pulseaudio is actually surprisingly mature and provides something that
> none of the other "standard" sound daemons -- jack excepted -- have
> provided before.

Ok, sorry, I was using Debian meaning for "unstable", which means
kinda big number of complains, doesn't work all the time, etc.

Anyway, no one will reverse decision to use PA as sound server,
because everyone was fed up with Esound and propably PA will end good
for us. I will test it and report any bugs I can, just for PA
developers to remember and reconsider - you must not only convince
distro devs to use it.

Cheers,
happy new year for everyone,
Peter.