Re: FC8, no ALSA sound support

2007/12/31, John Haxby <jch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Erik Slagter wrote:
> > As imho pulseaudio doesn't add significant functionality if you're not
> > using remote (over the network) audio, you'd be better off without it,
> > i.e. remove all pulseaudio packages alltogether.
> >

> That must be a different pulseaudio to the one I'm using then.  The
> per-application mixer (pavucontrol) is very useful

How this is useful? Each app already has it's own volume control.
Having additional one confuses user, which already doesn't distinguish
PCM from Main volume.

> and being able to
> move a running stream from the normal output to the USB soundcard I've
> just plugged iis extremely cool (yes, I know I could just restart
> mplayer and tell it to use the different soundcard).

How PA is useful in this in long term? What about simply changing
sound cards in common settings and apps simply works?

> Sure, if you have
> either very simple (one soundcard, one well-behaved app) or very complex
> (jack) requirements then pulseaudio isn't going to help, but for
> anything in between it's way in advance of anything we've had before.

So in fact PA is useful for about 10% of users, who want to mock with
their sound settings. Rest of us just want a sound work or would like
not to have some daemon  blocking sound card.

In nutshell, I have nothing so much against PA (some features are
really promising, but GUI and ease of use is seriously lacking), but I
have everything against to have such unmatured system in distros. As
we don't have enough sound problems already. After almost a year
reading lot of different opinions about PA, seems like there is
clearly love/hate relationship with PA within user's community.
Developers and ultra geeks however like it - understandably.

Just my opinion,
Peter.