Re: FC8, no ALSA sound support

> [root@localhost ~]# alsamixer
> *** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to connect: Connection refused
>
> alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: Connection refused

With FC8 esd/esound has been replaced by pulseaudio (+ esound
emulation). This that every program that has esound as it's default,
will start the pulseaudio daemon. The pulseaudio daemon will open and
claim your alsa sound devices (just like esound did).

Some problems you may encounter: the file permissions on the sound
device nodes (/dev/snd/*) are set by udev (see
/etc/udev/udev.rules/40-alsa.rules if you can make head and tail of it)
and by pam (initiated from udev or login) (see
/etc/security/console.perms.d) when you login. If something goes wrong
here, you end up with sound device you cannot open (I had this...)

Another problem: pulseaudio creeps into the alsa system, redirects the
the audio for the alsa "default" device to itself and then re-injects it
into the hardware devices. This would make it possible for
non-pulse-aware-applications to use pulse-audio using the alsa default
output. This system apparently isn't complete transparent to the
application and some application choke on it.

As imho pulseaudio doesn't add significant functionality if you're not
using remote (over the network) audio, you'd be better off without it,
i.e. remove all pulseaudio packages alltogether.