Terratec phase28 capturing

Hi to everybody.

I configured a Linux "sound box" with a Slackware 12.0, with alsa 1.0.14. I
use the alsa modules installed by the distribution.
I have a phase28, and I encountered the following problems I didn't succeed to
solve:
1) The output through channels 1 and 2 (front) is distorted; in the other 6
channels, output is OK (I use only two channel for output). This doesn't
happen in Win xp.
2) I successfully managed to record from a midi source through fluidsynth,
using rosegarden, but I'm not able to record from the analog line input, at
least (left or right input channel is the same); I changed the first two
channels in alsamixer from PCM out to H/W in 1 e H/W in 0, but I don't get
anything. Furthermore, the line input volume has a strange behaviour; when I
try to raise it, it remains stuck to 0, or raise in a odd and random way
(first goes to 15, then to 5, then to 30, even though I costantly raise it).

I don't use any .asoundrc configuration file.

Can someone help me?

Thanks a lot

Bye

Sim