Re: arecord default settings

On Sat, 2007-12-22 at 16:27 +1000, Mark Constable wrote:
> On Saturday 22 December 2007 14:41:39 Bill Unruh wrote:
> > > Why couldn't the arecord defaults be what would
> > > most likely be the most common settings of 16 bit,
> > > Rate 44,100 Hz, Stereo ?
> >
> > Because then your counterpart would complain that since his sound card was
> > 48KHz, 24 bit, why did they not make that the default.
>
> I think most folks that actually use 24bit sounds,
> and know they that are doing so, would understand that
> 24bit usage is far less common than 16bit usage.
>
> > Defaults are for learing what they are and then using explicit instructions
> > if you do not want the default.
>
> I respectfully and totally disagree. Defaults should
> be the most common expectation according to a wide range
> of normal usage cases.
>
> I would actually challenge anyone to suggest that 16bit
> at 44100 Hz is not the commonly used audio format under
> most circumstances for most users on any platform.
>
> > Note that they did make a format,
> > -f cd
> > for precisely your settings.
>
> Yes, I know that because I had to RTFM when I first used
> arecord years ago and remember thinking at the time they
> were dumb defaults. That's my point, everyone that uses
> arecord for the very first time has to RTFM and that is
> not necessary.
>
> > Look at any of the bleep, boop, twing, sound files on your system which
> > announce the bootup, file open, windows move, etc. Most are precesely that
> > format.
>
> /usr/share/sounds/*.wav - 17 8bit / 28 16bit mostly 22050 Hz
> /usr/share/sounds/*.ogg - 72 all 44100 Hz mostly ~128000 bps
> /usr/share/sounds/alsa/*.wav - 9 sounds all 16/44
>
> Out of 109 sounds 17 are indeed 8bit but there are only 2 (on
> my system) at 8000 Hz.
>
> #file /usr/share/sounds/*.wav|awk '{print $12}'|sort -n|uniq -c
>       1 5563
>       2 7418
>       2 8000
>       1 11025
>       6 11127
>       1 11128
>      27 22050
>       3 22254
>       1 22257
>       1 44100
>
> Out of 109 sounds, 82 are 44100 Hz and 16 bit (assuming the oggs
> were 16 bit and that is a safe bet seeing they are 44100 Hz at
> ~128000 bps) where as there are only 2 at 8bit/8Hz.
>
> > You probably use it every day. See above.
>
> No, I always completely disable desktop sounds. Anyone that
> listens to music or does any form of recording (like Skype
> sessions or screen casts, not even serious multi-tracking)
> will disable desktop sounds.

sorry to jump in so clumsily, but i highly agree in every point. why
make it intentionally user_un_friendly?

i don't want to start a geek vs. everyday user discussion (again, i had
enough of those in #alsa), but i very much vote for 'pragmatic' defaults
in general. i can't help it but 2ch s16le 44100Hz just _is_  the most
used format.

roman