Re: arecord default settings

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007, Mark Constable wrote:

> On 22 December 2007 13:24, Lee Revell wrote:
>>> carlos@chaos:~$ arecord -D plugfile out.wav
>>> Recording WAVE 'out.wav' :
>>> Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
>>
>> arecord does not do any kind of format detection
>> on its input.  It records with whatever format
>> you tell it to (in this case, the default of 8Khz
>> 8-bit mono)
>
> Why couldn't the arecord defaults be what would
> most likely be the most common settings of 16 bit,
> Rate 44,100 Hz, Stereo ?

Because then your counterpart would complain that since his sound card was
48KHz, 24 bit, why did they not make that the default.
Defaults are for learing what they are and then using explicit instructions
if you do not want the default.
Note that they did make a format,
-f cd
for precisely your settings.

> Seems weird to have default settings for a format
> that I have never ever seen in practical useage,

Look at any of the bleep, boop, twing, sound files on your system which
announce the bootup, file open, windows move, etc. Most are precesely that
format.

> let alone likely to ever use myself, and I'm
> pretty sure this would be the same for 99.99% of
> folks out there.

You probably use it every day. See above.