Re: arecord default settings

On Saturday 22 December 2007 14:41:39 Bill Unruh wrote:
> > Why couldn't the arecord defaults be what would
> > most likely be the most common settings of 16 bit,
> > Rate 44,100 Hz, Stereo ?
>
> Because then your counterpart would complain that since his sound card was
> 48KHz, 24 bit, why did they not make that the default.

I think most folks that actually use 24bit sounds,
and know they that are doing so, would understand that
24bit usage is far less common than 16bit usage.

> Defaults are for learing what they are and then using explicit instructions
> if you do not want the default.

I respectfully and totally disagree. Defaults should
be the most common expectation according to a wide range
of normal usage cases.

I would actually challenge anyone to suggest that 16bit
at 44100 Hz is not the commonly used audio format under
most circumstances for most users on any platform.

> Note that they did make a format,
> -f cd
> for precisely your settings.

Yes, I know that because I had to RTFM when I first used
arecord years ago and remember thinking at the time they
were dumb defaults. That's my point, everyone that uses
arecord for the very first time has to RTFM and that is
not necessary.

> Look at any of the bleep, boop, twing, sound files on your system which
> announce the bootup, file open, windows move, etc. Most are precesely that
> format.

/usr/share/sounds/*.wav - 17 8bit / 28 16bit mostly 22050 Hz
/usr/share/sounds/*.ogg - 72 all 44100 Hz mostly ~128000 bps
/usr/share/sounds/alsa/*.wav - 9 sounds all 16/44

Out of 109 sounds 17 are indeed 8bit but there are only 2 (on
my system) at 8000 Hz.

#file /usr/share/sounds/*.wav|awk '{print $12}'|sort -n|uniq -c
      1 5563
      2 7418
      2 8000
      1 11025
      6 11127
      1 11128
     27 22050
      3 22254
      1 22257
      1 44100

Out of 109 sounds, 82 are 44100 Hz and 16 bit (assuming the oggs
were 16 bit and that is a safe bet seeing they are 44100 Hz at
~128000 bps) where as there are only 2 at 8bit/8Hz.

> You probably use it every day. See above.

No, I always completely disable desktop sounds. Anyone that
listens to music or does any form of recording (like Skype
sessions or screen casts, not even serious multi-tracking)
will disable desktop sounds.

--markc