Re: sound through headphones only

On 30-11-07 07:27, lund@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>    Thank you for your help.  When I broke out the manual to learn how to
> access the bios and run diagnostics, I discovered that there is a
> hardware speaker mute switch on the keyboard that I had not noticed
> before.  Needless to say that fixed the problem!  Evidently one of my
> kids toggled this switch in their own attempt to get sound working in
> the days after the upgrade to FC 7, before I attempted to configure the
> sound card (when sound obviously was not working).

Good to hear!

>    I am intrigued by your comments regarding the es18xx driver,
> specifically the fact that it may not be necessary to specify options
> anymore.  When blundering with the speaker mute problem, I found that
> the driver would not load unless I passed at least "isapnp=0" along
> with it.  Do you think this is all that should be needed now (i.e. I
> should be able to leave off i/o, irq, and dma assignments?)  This would
> simplify things and protect against cases where the soundcard settings
> were changed (by the bios setup program, say).

In fact, with the driver as it currently exists in the ALSA repos, it is
hoped that "modprobe snd-es18xx" would be all that is needed. See, ISAPnP
drivers need to embed the hardware IDs for the chips/cards to know they
_should_ be driving said chip/card and your ID (ESS1879) was only recently
added to the driver.

So you'd leave of any and all parameters (and _with_ isapnp=0 you would need
the other options as well in fact, as it specifically tells ALSA to not use
PnP to get the values, so you'd certainly leave of that as well).

>    I am also curious about the best way to load the es18xx driver on boot.
>  As far as I understand, ISA soundcards are no longer detected on boot
> by recent kernels.  I get around this by inserting the command
> "modprobe snd-es18xx" in the rc.local script.  Is this the preferred
> way of loading the driver, or is there a better way?

Assuming you use udev (FC7 does) the newly added ID should also make sure
the module will be loaded at boot again so it's the same issue.

The snd-es18xx driver with the added ID is going to be in 2.6.24. If you
want to have it sooner, you'd have to recmpile the kernel (or alsa-driver
package). If you know how to do that generally, you can add the ID yourself:

in sound/isa/es18xx, find:

static struct pnp_device_id snd_audiodrive_pnpbiosids[] = {
         { .id = "ESS1869" },
         { .id = "" }            /* end */
};

and make it

static struct pnp_device_id snd_audiodrive_pnpbiosids[] = {
         { .id = "ESS1869" },
         { .id = "ESS1879" },
};

and recompile/reinstall. There's too many pitfalls to recompiling and
reinstalling kernels by newbies though, so if you are one, never mind.
2.6.24 will make it to a package repository near you eventually... ;-)

I would be most interested to hear if it does indeed just work for you then
though. There might still be some PnP related trouble. But, "eventually" is
soon enough!

Rene.