Re: sound through headphones only

On 29-11-07 20:16, Tom Lund wrote:

> I have an old Compaq Armada 7400 notebook with an ESS 1879 AudioDrive ISA
> sound card.  I had sound working correctly with Fedora core 4, but after
> a recent fresh install of Fedora core 7 I am left with a situation where
> sound can be heard only by plugging in headphones - the built-in speakers
> are silent.  Getting alsa to work with ISA sound cards is a bit tricky
> since one needs to load kernel modules and supply the correct options for
> these.

Well, actually, the ESS 1879 is an ISAPnP chip and the snd-es18xx driver has
PnPBIOS support so it should be possible to get things to work without any
manual option supplying.

In fact, due to this thread from a (fairly short) while ago:

http://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg20179.html

the ESS1879 ID was added to the driver meaning chances are good things will
"just work" now. The driver with the added ID will have to make it your
machine first though (for any onlookers, yes, it's in ALSA HG, no it's not
in 2.6.23).

Anyways.. that's not your current problem it seems.

> Although I knew how to do this from my core 4 experiences, I blundered
> along loading and unloading modules, passing incorrect options, playing
> with the mixer settings, and generally messing things up in vain attempts
> to get sound working.  At one point I discovered that sound was working
> fine through the headphone jack.  I could adjust volume, balance, mute
> and unmute, play sounds, play CD's - basically everything works as long
> as I have headphones plugged in. When I remove them, I get absolutely no
> sound.

These kinds of sense switches are unfortunately (well, for some definitions
of "un" at least) completely out of control of the ALSA driver. These are
hardware, motherboard specific, things, only affeting teh signal patch after
it has left the chip ALSA is so busily driving...

> As a sanity check I booted the machine into Windows 98 and I found the
> same thing! - no sound from the speakers, only from the headphones.  Now
> I am concerned that I  might have damaged the sound card or the speakers
> in my ill-fated exploits with the kernel modules.  Is this possible?

Well, it's  not totally _impossible_ I guess but it's still exceedingly
unlikely...

> Is there any way to verify this?  I also wonder if it is possible to set
> some sort of speaker mute switch that would hold even on reboot.  Any
> ideas on how to diagnose or fix this problem?

If the laptop stores the routing in its CMOS it's possible that it restores
this over boots. Given that you also have windows on there, don't you have
some laptop specifics tools and/or restore disks, and/or whatever that may
allow you to either specifically do something to the sound output, or just
reset the machine to a totally clean state? (in fact, I'd try going into its
BIOS and seeing what I can do there first as well).

> In case it is of use, I am enclosing the logs from "soundcard detection".
> Thanks for any help you can provide.

Well, it confirms at least that you indeed have the ESS1979 PnP ID that was
(only) recently added meaning the first bit above applies. Other than that
though, the issue is out of ALSA's realm and specific to your laptop I'm
afraid meaning that this list isn't going to be very specifically helpful.

Rene.