sound through headphones only

I have an old Compaq Armada 7400 notebook with an ESS 1879 AudioDrive
ISA sound card.  I had sound working correctly with Fedora core 4, but
after a recent fresh install of Fedora core 7 I am left with a
situation where sound can be heard only by plugging in headphones - the
built-in speakers are silent.  Getting alsa to work with ISA sound cards
is a bit tricky since one needs to load kernel modules and supply the
correct options for these.  Although I knew how to do this from my core
4 experiences, I blundered along loading and unloading modules, passing
incorrect options, playing with the mixer settings, and generally
messing things up in vain attempts to get sound working.  At one point I
discovered that sound was working fine through the headphone jack.  I
could adjust volume, balance, mute and unmute, play sounds, play CD's -
basically everything works as long as I have headphones plugged in.
When I remove them, I get absolutely no sound.  As a sanity check I
booted the machine into Windows 98 and I found the same thing! - no
sound from the speakers, only from the headphones.  Now I am concerned
that I  might have damaged the sound card or the speakers in my
ill-fated exploits with the kernel modules.  Is this possible?  Is there
any way to verify this?  I also wonder if it is possible to set some
sort of speaker mute switch that would hold even on reboot.  Any ideas
on how to diagnose or fix this problem?  In case it is of use, I am
enclosing the logs from "soundcard detection".
   Thanks for any help you can provide.

   ---Tom