Re: Bitperfect Ears

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007, Rene Herman wrote:

> On 25-11-07 22:10, Bill Unruh wrote:
>
> [ the loudness war ]
>
>>  And your senator is supposed to do what? Pass a law saying that clipping
>>  is
>>  illegal? Maybe we can pass another that states that distortion is illegal,
>>  and get rid of all those fuzz boxes on electric guitars.
>>  And throw anyone in jail who screams, since when you shout or speak loudly
>>  there is lots of distortion in your vocal chords.
>
> Just in case you _reallY_ missed it -- the "write to your senator(s)" bit was
> not serious (and I for example don't even have (a) senators(s)).
>
> Clipping nor analogue distortion by the way is the problem. As said, it's the
> range compression to _avoid_ the clipping that they have to do when they
> master at these insane averages -- when you then later play them back at
> sensible home-levels, you have flat, boring, unexciting, muddy crap.

I agree that it is crap. That is why I do not buy or listen to it. But then
I am just an old fuddy duddy that does not get it anyway.
I wonder what you would get if you took each relaive max in teh music and
made it equal to the max amplitude, and each relative minimum and made it
the greatest minimum with square wave transitions between each max and min.
That would be a signal with 0 dB headroom, and 0dB dynamic range (ie, it
would be the max rms signal.
Would it be comprehensible at all?

That seems to be what the music industry is heading toward.