Bitperfect Ears

Was Re:  "best" card for "bitperfect" SPDIF I/O?with?external clock sync ?

On 2007-11-25 12:34 pm, Bill Unruh wrote:
> > PS a bit of OT: I'm 24, and I barely hear 18khz (in headphones), unless
> > it's VERY loud - I can hear only up to 17500-17800 clearly at average
> > volume level. Is there something wrong with my ears or it should be like
> > this?
>
> That is quite normal It is in fact good hearing

Absolutely, I would kindly kill for ears like that.

> (although many kids can
> hear up to 22-25 kHz). And it will get worse, especially if you like
> listening to music on your headphones. Almost all headphone users have
> their headphones cranked up WAY to loud, and that destroys the nerve cells
> in the ear. A bus, going up a hill, has sound levels inside of the order
> of 80dB and in order to hear the music people crank up their heaphones to
> 90 or 100 dB. After only a few years of that your threshold will be down to
> 14kHz then 8kHz then 3kHz. With any luck you will effectively be deaf by the
> time you are 40, and can join the ranks of almost all rock musicians.

I'm over 50yo and what is worse is one ear noticably
deteriorating moreso than the other one. I have a 4khz
"hole" down about 20db in my right ear so center stage
for me is about 11.30am on the dial. Very annoying.

There are a few online hearing test sites around, here
is one with 16/44.1 wavs. I can't hear 12kHz-0dB.wav :-(

 http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/music/dB/loudness.html

--markc