Re: ALSA and NI Audio Kontrol 1

On Sat, 3 Nov 2007, Eron Lloyd wrote:

> On 11/3/07, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> those

>> snd-usb-caiaq

>> Debian

>> driver,

>> and

>> and

>> problem

>>> Hello Nigel,
>>>
>>> First off, thanks for the response. I've built ALSA 1.0.15 from source
>> (all
>>> packages) and restarted the machine. Calling /proc/asound/version indeed
>>> gives me:
>>>
>>>  Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.15.
>>>  Compiled on Nov  3 2007 for kernel 2.6.22.9-0.4-default (SMP)
>>>
>>> and the driver I seek, snd-usb-caiaq.ko, is indeed present in the
>> directory
>>>
>>>  /lib/modules/2.6.22.9-0.4-default/kernel/sound/usb/caiaq/
>>>
>>> When attempting to configure it using the system tool YaST, however, I
>>> can't see it in the list. Is there a way I could manually configure it
>>> using alsa tools? Should I copy the module to the parent directory where
>>> the other snd-usb-*.ko files are?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Eron Lloyd
>>
>> Hi Eron. As I've said I don't have a SuSe install. I'm on dialup and it
>> takes
>> some time to download the iso's, but I've done this for Fedora. perhaps I
>> should do this for SuSe. At least I will know how it works then.
>>
>> Back to your problem. What is the output of lsmod (maybe /sbin/lsmod), and
>> do
>> you have any entries for the soundcard in /etc/modprobe.conf?. if the
>> module
>> is showing as loaded in lsmod, you may just have to adjust settings in
>> alsamixer (install alsa-utils if you don't already have it installed).
>> Just
>> start alsamixer on the CLI (konsole) (Terminal). Often sound is muted as
>> default, to save your speakers, and ears. The "M" key toggles the
>> mute/unmute
>>
>> To see if the card is detected, and particularly if you also have an
>> onboard
>> soundcard, post the output of the command below.
>> cat /proc/asound/cards
>>
>> Nigel.

Once again

depmod -a
modprobe snd-usb-caiaq

should install it and you should see snd-usb-caiaq in lsmod

If not look at the end of dmesg_tail
just after you do modprobe to see if there are any error messages.

> Hello Nigel,
>
> Well, hopefully we can resolve this on my system for both our knowledge. The
> output of
> cat /proc/asound/cards yields:
>
> 0 [A1             ]: snd-usb-caiaq - Audio Kontrol 1
>                      Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1 (serial
> SN-SN-8CXD0HYT7W, usb-0000:00:1d.7-3)

Well, it seems to be installed.

> 1 [Control        ]: USB-Audio - TotalTrack Control
>                      Numark TotalTrack Control at usb-0000:00:1d.2-2, full
> speed
>
> Where 0 is the card I'm attempting to configure and 1 is a MIDI controller
> (which isn't important). I don't see anything related in /etc/modprobe.conf,
> and lsmod reports these (possibly) relevant entries:
>
> Module                  Size  Used by
> snd_pcm                75780  4
> snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_usb_audio,snd_usb_caiaq
> snd_usb_lib            19584  1 snd_usb_audio
> snd_rawmidi            27136  3 snd_seq_midi,snd_usb_caiaq,snd_usb_lib
> snd_hwdep              12932  2 [wrap]
> snd_hda_intel,snd_usb_audio,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_seq,snd_hda_intel,snd_usb_audio,snd_usb_caiaq,snd_pcm,snd_usb_lib,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_timer,snd_hwdep
> usbcore               123756  8
> snd_usb_audio,usbhid,snd_usb_caiaq,usb_storage,snd_usb_lib,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd

But I do not se it here, but then again you probablydid not list all of the
lsmod entries that start with snd

ldmod|grep snd

> Finally, alsamixer returns "No mixer elems found". I wonder what influence

That is not good. Look in dmesg