Re: ALSA and NI Audio Kontrol 1

On Saturday 03 November 2007 19:25, Eron Lloyd wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm trying to get my Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1 external USB sound
> card to work with OpenSUSE 10.3, but I cannot find the drivers for it,
> specifically the snd_usb_caiaq module. It doesn't show up in YaST, but I
> remember reading that this version of ALSA includes those drivers. Is there
> any reason OpenSUSE wouldn't include them? Could I manually link this
> driver from the source?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eron

Hi Eron. I don't run SuSe, but I've just looked on my Debian Etch install,
where I recently upgraded the Alsa driver to 1.0.15 (current stable) just for
practice, and looking in /lib/modules/2.6.18-5-686/kernel/sound/usb, the
snd-usb-caiaq module exists. checking on an earlier kernel (2.6.18-4-686)
where I havn't upgraded alsa to 1.0.15, the snd-usb-caiaq module doesn't
exist.

Which is your current alsa driver? Run,
cat /proc/asound/version
Before I upgraded the alsa driver, IIRC it was 1.0.12rc2 for this Debian
kernel.

The module you want may have just recently been added to the alsa driver, and
upgrading the alsa driver may resolve your problem. Link below.
http://alsa-project.org/

I've only practiced upgrading the Alsa driver on Fedora, Archlinux, and
Debian, but you at least need the kernel headers installed for your running
kernel.

With Archlinux, the headers were all I needed.
With Fedora, I needed the headers, and the kernel-devel package.
With Debian, installing the headers also pulled in linux-kbuild-2.6.18
(obviously for the 2.6.18-5-686 kernel that I was going to upgrade the alsa
driver against)

Have a go at upgrading the alsa driver, as it may well resolve your problem.
and please post back with which packages need to be installed to carry out
this procedure on SuSe.

Once you have downloaded the latest alsa driver, cd to it's location, and
simply run,
./configure
followed by
make
su to root, and then,
make install

Personally I reboot after all that has completed, and checking with,
cat /proc/asound/version
should now show the 1.0.15 version installed, and just maybe your problem is
resolved.

All the best.

Nigel.