Re: Intel ALSA problem [actuallyALC268]

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, Nigel Henry wrote:

> On Wednesday 10 October 2007 20:20, Lars 'Levia' Wesselius wrote:
> <huge snip of all the previous content>
>> I think Ill wait for the new kernel for my distro, as I do not really need
>> sound at the moment. I'll need it later, but I suspect by then the new
>> kernel will be available. Thanks for all your help, and effort!
>>
>> Lars
>
> Hi Lars.
>
> I hadn't upgraded an alsa driver before, but tried it out on my Fedora 7
> install, and it upgraded ok.

Yes, why not just upgrade alsa.
To upgrade the modules, download alsa-drivers... untar it, ./configure,
make
make install.
and the others are essentially as easy. The kernel will always be a year or
so behind.

> On Saturday a week ago I thought I'd install Archlinux to see if there were
> any problems upgrading an alsa driver on it. the only iso I could find was
> the core.iso, so downloaded and installed that. I had a few problems with
> installing X, KDE, along with some other things I needed to fix, but it's up
> and running now. This is the "Don't panic" version.
>
> I posted to the Archlinux forum to see which packages needed to be installed
> to upgrade kernel  drivers, but with no replies.
>
> Yesterday there were some updates for alsa packages (alsa-lib, alsa-utils,
> alsa-oss), and also an upgrade for the kernel.
>
> Post upgrade I checked with Jacman to see which versions of the alsa packages
> were now installed. All the above were now at version-1.0.15. Unfortunately,
> doing a cat /proc/asound/version still showed the new kernel using alsa
> driver 1.0.14.
>
> So to hell with it I thought. I'll try and upgrade the alsa driver. If it
> works it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't, and that's all there is to it.
>
> As it turned out, this was really simple. I'd already downloaded the latest
> alsa driver from http://alsa-project.org/ , so just did the following stuff.
>
> cd to where you downloaded the alsa driver, then do.
> tar xjvf alsa-driver-1.0.15.tar.bz2
> this creates a new directory, so cd to the new directory.
> cd alsa-driver-1.0.15
> Now run.
> ./configure
> If all goes well follow this by the command.
> make
> If make runs to completion with no errors, su to root, and run.
> make install
>
> Reboot, and run cat /proc/asound/version to verify that the alsa driver is the
> latest version.

Why reboot? Before you run make install, do
rmmod name-of-your-snd-module
Then do
depmod
modprobe nameofyoursndmodule