Re: Intel ALSA problem [actuallyALC268]

On Tuesday 23 October 2007 00:58, Bill Unruh wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > On Wednesday 10 October 2007 20:20, Lars 'Levia' Wesselius wrote:
> > <huge snip of all the previous content>
> >
> >> I think Ill wait for the new kernel for my distro, as I do not really
> >> need sound at the moment. I'll need it later, but I suspect by then the
> >> new kernel will be available. Thanks for all your help, and effort!
> >>
> >> Lars
> >
> > Hi Lars.
> >
> > I hadn't upgraded an alsa driver before, but tried it out on my Fedora 7
> > install, and it upgraded ok.
>
> Yes, why not just upgrade alsa.
> To upgrade the modules, download alsa-drivers... untar it, ./configure,
> make
> make install.
> and the others are essentially as easy. The kernel will always be a year or
> so behind.
>
> > On Saturday a week ago I thought I'd install Archlinux to see if there
> > were any problems upgrading an alsa driver on it. the only iso I could
> > find was the core.iso, so downloaded and installed that. I had a few
> > problems with installing X, KDE, along with some other things I needed to
> > fix, but it's up and running now. This is the "Don't panic" version.
> >
> > I posted to the Archlinux forum to see which packages needed to be
> > installed to upgrade kernel  drivers, but with no replies.
> >
> > Yesterday there were some updates for alsa packages (alsa-lib,
> > alsa-utils, alsa-oss), and also an upgrade for the kernel.
> >
> > Post upgrade I checked with Jacman to see which versions of the alsa
> > packages were now installed. All the above were now at version-1.0.15.
> > Unfortunately, doing a cat /proc/asound/version still showed the new
> > kernel using alsa driver 1.0.14.
> >
> > So to hell with it I thought. I'll try and upgrade the alsa driver. If it
> > works it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't, and that's all there is to it.
> >
> > As it turned out, this was really simple. I'd already downloaded the
> > latest alsa driver from http://alsa-project.org/ , so just did the
> > following stuff.
> >
> > cd to where you downloaded the alsa driver, then do.
> > tar xjvf alsa-driver-1.0.15.tar.bz2
> > this creates a new directory, so cd to the new directory.
> > cd alsa-driver-1.0.15
> > Now run.
> > ./configure
> > If all goes well follow this by the command.
> > make
> > If make runs to completion with no errors, su to root, and run.
> > make install
> >
> > Reboot, and run cat /proc/asound/version to verify that the alsa driver
> > is the latest version.
>
> Why reboot? Before you run make install, do
> rmmod name-of-your-snd-module
> Then do
> depmod
> modprobe nameofyoursndmodule

Hi Bill. How does that work out if you have multiple soundcards, and indexing
options set for them in /etc/modprobe.conf so that they are loaded in the
order you want them. Would a rmmod, followed by a modprobe mess with the card
ordering. I can't try this out on Debian Lenny. See below.

I'm not saying that what you say above doesn't work if you only have one
soundcard, hda intel for example, but I've just tried what you suggest on my
Debian Lenny install. See below.

Last login: Tue Oct 23 11:56:54 2007
djmons@debian:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [Audigy2        ]: Audigy2 - Audigy 2 Platinum [SB0240P]
                      Audigy 2 Platinum [SB0240P] (rev.4, serial:0x10021102)
at 0xd800, irq 10
 1 [Bt878          ]: Bt87x - Brooktree Bt878
                      Brooktree Bt878 at 0xe7006000, irq 10
 2 [keyboard       ]: USB-Audio - MK-225C USB MIDI keyboard
                      Evolution Electronics Ltd. MK-225C USB MIDI keyboard at
usb-0000:00:07.2-1, ful
djmons@debian:~$ su
Password:
debian:/home/djmons# rmmod snd-emu10k1
ERROR: Module snd_emu10k1 is in use by snd_emu10k1_synth
debian:/home/djmons# modprobe -r snd-emu10k1
FATAL: Module snd_emu10k1 is in use.
debian:/home/djmons# rmmod snd_emu10k1_synth
debian:/home/djmons# rmmod snd-emu10k1
ERROR: Module snd_emu10k1 is in use

No sound apps are running, but there is a TV card installed using bttv. Xawtv
isn't running, but there is a link cable from audio out on the TV card to
line in on the Audigy2 soundblaster. Also snd-usb-audio is loaded and the usb
midi keyboard is using it. Perhaps that's why I can't rmmod snd-emu10k1.

Now I could spend ages trying to find out what was using snd-emu10k1, thus
stopping it being removed, and during this time, I could have done the reboot
10 times over, which is why I mentioned "reboot".

Which distro/s are you using Bill? I only ask because I've sorted out
upgrading the alsa driver on Fedora, and Archlinux, but am not sure what
needs to be installed on Debian to do the same.

Feedback, as always, welcome.

Nigel.