Re: Alsa - the ghost in the machine?

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 20:21:52 +0100
Barry Samuels <beejay.samuels@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Another possible source of trouble after an upgrade
> > is /var/lib/alsa/asound.state
> > You must stop alsa:
> > /etc/init.d/alsasound stop
> > remove this file and restart alsa.
> >
> > Dominique
>
> I use the alsa modules from the kernel. I don't have anything called
> 'alsa' or 'alsasound' running. There is an /etc/init.d/alsa-utils
> which, I believe, saves and restores mixer settings.
>
> Does that make any difference?

/etc/init.d/alsasound is an bash script that execute quickly and it doesn't
stay resident. It's called during bootup and shutdown to set and restore the
sound chip status and maybe to load/unload the alsa modules. We don't know
what those script do because they are different for every distro. If it
doesn't work properly, rewrite it. You can use alsactl (alsa-utils) to save
and restore mixer settings very easily.

If you suspect that the driver doesn't work well, please consider compiling
the latest version of alsa-driver yourself. Sometimes distros use unstable
releases or they make their own changes to the code and this makes difficult
to locate the problem.

--
Giuliano.