Re: Alsa - the ghost in the machine?

Le Sat, 13 Oct 2007 12:06:31 +0100,Barry Samuels <beejay.samuels@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
> I have a computer with a Asus P5W DH DeLuxe mainboard and Intel HD > on-board sound chip. I am running Debian Testing, up to date as of > yesterday, with a 2.6.23 kernel.> > cat /proc/asound/cards:>  0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel>                       HDA Intel at 0xfebfc000 irq 17> > I've had a LOT of trouble in getting Alsa to work with sound input via > a microphone. Sound output via the speakers has never been a problem.> > The biggest problem is that the input sound is so inconsistent. For > example - a few days ago I was running a 2.6.22.6 kernel and, after a > lot of fiddling with mixer controls, I managed to get reasonable > quality and volume of recorded sound. Then I upgraded the kernel as > above. After that the sound actually improved a little and I even had > to reduce input and output volume levels. Then I needed to reboot the > machine and I ended up with sound that I could barely hear coupled with > a tremdous hum - same kernel, same mixer settings. After many, many > adjustments I decided that it was unusable in that state and left it.> > This morning I find that the hum has gone and although the sound volume > level was low it could be improved using the 'mic boost' and there was > no hum.> > My computer normally runs 24 hours a day so it wasn't changed in any > way between yesterday and today.> > So I'm baffled. I seem to have these problems regularly if anything > does change e.g. Debian updates, new kernel, computer reboot (not very > often) and so on.> > I'm beginning to think that my machine is haunted.> > Will it ever be possible to get a stable Alsa system?>
The version of the different alsa packages must reasonably match with thealsa driver. Another sources of trouble can be that udev load the alsadriver before alsasound at boot time and the sound card order can change. Thatespecially if you have multiple sound card like a webcam with mic or whatever.This can be solved in the alsa config file /etc/modules.d/alsa with somethinglike:
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1options snd-emu10k1 index=0alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audiooptions snd-usb-audio index=1alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1...options snd cards_limit=2
Another possible source of trouble after an upgradeis /var/lib/alsa/asound.stateYou must stop alsa:/etc/init.d/alsasound stopremove this file and restart alsa.
Dominique
-------------------------------------------------------------------------This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >> http://get.splunk.com/_______________________________________________Alsa-user mailing listAlsa-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/alsa-user