Re: After a few minutes/hours/days sound goes ChaChaChaCha......

On 10/7/07, Rene Herman <rene.herman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/06/2007 07:43 PM, Morten Guldager wrote:
>
> > On my kubuntu system the soundcard, soon or later, refuses to play
> > anything but the first approx. 0.1 second of the sample repeated over and
> > over again.
>
> That sounds like the IRQ stops firing.

Funny thing, I have seen the same behavior on my mom's windows thing.
It was a interrupt problem...

I have noticed that when the sound is broken, the interrupts does not
count any longer too.

> > To fix this situation its not enough simply to logout and in again, I
> > have to reboot the system.
>
> Is it a pattern where the first time takes long, and than it happens faster
> each time? If so, I'd start suspecting heat.

Don't think so. The machine runs 24/7. No powercycles, just a simple
reboot now and then. (to get that darn music back. My old machine ran
for years without other reboots than kernel upgrades. Even my
girlfriends windows2000 runs more stable!)

> > I have tried an other soundcard, but that did not help.
>
> I see. That certainly points to a system global problem and not so much one
> with alsa specifically. Is the slot/card on a shared IRQ with something
> else, and if so, are you able to correlate some action on/from that other
> device and your sound crapping out?

Initially I used the sound system on the motherboard, now its a PCI thing.

mogul@linuxine:/proc/asound$ cat cards
 0 [AudioPCI       ]: ENS1371 - Ensoniq AudioPCI
                      Ensoniq AudioPCI ENS1371 at 0xac00, irq 25

Here is the interrupt list:

mogul@linuxine:~$ cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0       CPU1
  0:   41848540          0   IO-APIC-edge      timer
  1:      93805          0   IO-APIC-edge      i8042
  6:          5          0   IO-APIC-edge      floppy
  7:          0          0   IO-APIC-edge      parport0
  8:         23          0   IO-APIC-edge      rtc
  9:          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   acpi
 12:     614137          0   IO-APIC-edge      i8042
 14:     237512          0   IO-APIC-edge      ide0
 15:     551212    1956428   IO-APIC-edge      ide1
 18:     697954          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   uhci_hcd:usb1, eth0
 19:         30          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   uhci_hcd:usb2
 20:       1209          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   uhci_hcd:usb3, libata,
ehci_hcd:usb5
 21:     100001          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   uhci_hcd:usb4
 22:          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   libata
 23:          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   libata
 24:   24429478          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   nvidia
 25:    2500176          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   Ensoniq AudioPCI
NMI:          0          0
LOC:   41844808   41846704
ERR:          0
MIS:          0

Looks like irq25, and alone there.

> > Synaptic told me that alsa-base is version 1.0.13-3
> > The system is a Intel dual-core thing, if that does matter.
> > How do I debug this? What do you need to know to help me here?
>
> Well, that sounds modern. First thing I'd _always_ try is "pci=routeirq"
> and/or "pci=noacpi" but not sure if that's actually still an option these
> days...

I will give it a shot. (think I have tried at least one of them before... )

> And putting the soundcard in a different slot?

Hmm, thats not an option. Only got one PCI slot in there.

> If this is not helpful, you're probably best of adding
> linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to the CC.

Well, i better sign up on their list then...

--
/Morten %-)