Re: After a few minutes/hours/days sound goes ChaChaChaCha......

On 10/06/2007 07:43 PM, Morten Guldager wrote:

> On my kubuntu system the soundcard, soon or later, refuses to play
> anything but the first approx. 0.1 second of the sample repeated over and
> over again.

That sounds like the IRQ stops firing.

> To fix this situation its not enough simply to logout and in again, I
> have to reboot the system.

Is it a pattern where the first time takes long, and than it happens faster
each time? If so, I'd start suspecting heat.

> I have tried an other soundcard, but that did not help.

I see. That certainly points to a system global problem and not so much one
with alsa specifically. Is the slot/card on a shared IRQ with something
else, and if so, are you able to correlate some action on/from that other
device and your sound crapping out?

> Synaptic told me that alsa-base is version 1.0.13-3
>
> The system is a Intel dual-core thing, if that does matter.
>
> How do I debug this? What do you need to know to help me here?

Well, that sounds modern. First thing I'd _always_ try is "pci=routeirq"
and/or "pci=noacpi" but not sure if that's actually still an option these
days...

And putting the soundcard in a different slot?

If this is not helpful, you're probably best of adding
linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to the CC.

Rene.